Thursday, June 9, 2011

Music!


I thought I would open up the topic of theme music. 
Your theme sets the mood for both how the crowd responds to you and how your character will come across.

First off, let me say, the in house crowds will react much differently then those of us watching television will. I'm going strictly on the idea of sitting in front of the television every week and hearing each wrestler's theme in semi-surround sound.
This is also only in regards to the current themes (as of June 9th 2011)

  • MotorCityMachine Guns!   I feel this is something that TNA-Impact is falling short on.  I have to hand it to the Guns for having the best theme in the company at the current time.  It's got a punch that not only has that high energy to it, it's different from most else out there. You hear it and there is no staggering which sometimes happens as there are a few themes that sound similar to each other at the moment.   I am curious to see if Alex Shelley continues to use it over the next few months while Chris Sabin is out on injury or if they will bring in something for his solo run?  My vote is to keep the MMG theme as is. 
  • Wade Barrett (the Corre) over on WWE, we have another song that is high energy and sets up in viewers minds a total rebel badass. It's gritty, but still something that sticks in your mind. 
  • Alex Riley's theme.   All I can say is it's about time. It's got a harder edge to it and I don't know if it's just the fact it's a new theme or if maybe he had some say in it himself, but it fits. You hear it and feel this song could be played at proper concerts without feeling like it's a theme song.
  • Randy Orton's song.  What can I say.  Hands down, it's the anthem for wrestling themes. High energy, gritty, seductive and suggestively brutal. You get the base of Orton's character, plus the feel that it could become a useful element down the road in other pieces of entertainment. I keep thinking horror film theme here. 
And now for the worst theme-
  • Yoshi Tatsu's theme.  Dude, I'm sorry but every time I hear that song, I think bad Saturday morning commercials for fruit roll ups and bubblegum.    

No comments:

Post a Comment